Access project connected to database with a hyphen in it

• Thread starter Karl von Hardenberg
  • Start date
K

Karl von Hardenberg

I don't know if this is the best newsgroup for this but I thought I'd give it a shot

I have an access 2000 project connected to a sql server 2000 database that has a hyphen in the name. Up until today I had no problems but now when I create a report in the project and bring up the query builder for the recordsource of the report, the tables do not show the fields. I can add the tables and I can add the * for all fields but I cannot add individual fields because they just don't appear. It's as if the query builder is unable to view the metadata. I can type the SQL in directly and things are fine. My old reports all function just fine. If I use the report wizard the fields show up and I can build the report without a problem.

I also tried connecting to the database using access XP and had no problems when I did so

As best I can tell there have been no updates to any of the client machines or to the sql server between yesterday and today. In fact, I turned on a machine that had not been used for several months and it had the same problem

I know that I can just remove the hyphen from the database name but I'm concerned about this problem appearing after several months without an issue. Does anyone have any insight into what may have happened here?

Ask a Question