Bug: Delete-word functionality missing while editing text

P

Programmer

Version: 2008

A Mac text editing convention is that doing operations with the option key held down extends a character-based operation to be a word-based operation. So for example, if you are holding down shift and press left- or right-arrow to select text, one character at a time will be added to the selection. Add option, and one *word* at a time will be selected.

Entourage mostly gets this right, but there is one case where it misses: deletion. Typically, pressing delete or forward-delete deletes one character, and pressing option-delete or option-forward-delete deletes one word. Entourage does not do this; it always deletes just one letter. Needless to say, being used to frequently using option in this way, this is quite annoying as I always forget and slam into it, then realize what's happening and work around it. It's quite disruptive to my flow of thoughts as I'm composing.

I'm going to submit this as feedback, but assuming it won't get addressed anytime soon, if ever, is there some workaround I can use now to get Entourage to behave properly?

Note 1: I have the "Use Office keyboard shortcuts while editing text" option turned off. Not only does that not fix the problem, it causes nearly every other Mac editing convention to be broken, as well.

Note 2: Word 2008 gets this half-right. It word-deletes backward, but character-deletes forward. I have not tried the other Office apps.

Ask a Question