Bypassing TNEF and winmail.dat?

J

Jonathan Blum

Not sure if this is quite the right forum for this, but if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it!

A program I'm working on has been integrating with Outlook through Simple MAPI to generate an email, attach a file, and mail them to clients... some of whom can't read the attachment because it shows up as winmail.dat. I've tried disabling Rich Text in both Outlook and Exchange, but no matter what I do it still seems to be forcing the attachments into TNEF format.

Is there anything I can do either in Simple or Extended MAPI to force the attachments to be encoded in a readable format?

(Interestingly, when the message shows up in the Outlook outbox, I can successfully forward it to the client, and then the attachment shows up correctly. I also get good results if I have Outlook display the message before sending, and retype the address -- which suggests that it the problem has something to do with address resolution, and MAPI handling it differently than Outlook. Any ideas?)

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Ask a Question