Can't log in to publish via http

W

webwranglertx

I have been having this problem since four months ago with not being able to use the publish feature because when I publish to http, I get an error message saying that my login is rejected.
If I turn right around and use CuteFTP, my login goes through flawlessly.
I have written my tech support about it but they never fix it. They just say "I logged in as you and have no problems." Of course it is impossible for them to do that because they don't have FrontPage or even a web to test publishing.
I have not problems logging in as me either, except for publishing.
I have asked them to reinstall the extensions multiple times and this doesn't work. I have also uninstalled/reinstalled the extensions through the control panel and that doesn't work either.
This is a Unix server with FP extensions (supposedly) for Unix. There is no viewable place that I know of to see what the version is but they have told me via email in the past that it is 5.03 or something like that - it checked out as up to date when I viewed info at Microsoft.com.
I wish there was an FP utility that I could use to query their server and verify that the extensions are complete! :)
Any help that anyone can offier on this, it would be greatly appreciated! ~deb

S

Steve Easton

Have your host reset / repair the FrontPage extensions. Publishing using FTP will corrupt them.
Once reset, always use http:// to publish.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed............
........................with a computer

webwranglertx said:
I have been having this problem since four months ago with not being able to use the publish
feature because when I publish to http, I get an error message saying that my login is rejected.
If I turn right around and use CuteFTP, my login goes through flawlessly.
I have written my tech support about it but they never fix it. They just say "I logged in as you
and have no problems." Of course it is impossible for them to do that because they don't have
FrontPage or even a web to test publishing.
I have not problems logging in as me either, except for publishing.
I have asked them to reinstall the extensions multiple times and this doesn't work. I have also
uninstalled/reinstalled the extensions through the control panel and that doesn't work either.
This is a Unix server with FP extensions (supposedly) for Unix. There is no viewable place that I
know of to see what the version is but they have told me via email in the past that it is 5.03 or
something like that - it checked out as up to date when I viewed info at Microsoft.com.

W

webwranglertx

Thanks Steve! I have already been there and done that numerous times each week. I am not publishing via FTP because I want to, I am forced into using it because the publish feature will not let me log in no matter how many times the host resets the FP extensions and no matter how many times I repair/uninstall/reinstall the extensions through the control panel.
F.Y.I. I switched to CuteFTP, which does not write a log file to the server and therefore does not corrupt FP extensions. However, I am still stuck with the original problem!

S

Steve Easton

What version of FrontPage??
If FP98 it is no longer compatible with the UNIX versions of FP extensions 5.03 which are written
by the way by RTR software. www.rtr.com

If a newer version close FrontPage and then find and delete all *.web files and then try.

If still no luck here's a link that might help:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q287/3/99.ASP

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed............
........................with a computer

webwranglertx said:
Thanks Steve! I have already been there and done that numerous times each week. I am not
publishing via FTP because I want to, I am forced into using it because the publish feature will not
let me log in no matter how many times the host resets the FP extensions and no matter how many
times I repair/uninstall/reinstall the extensions through the control panel.
F.Y.I. I switched to CuteFTP, which does not write a log file to the server and therefore does not
corrupt FP extensions. However, I am still stuck with the original problem!

W

webwranglertx

I am using FP 2002.
Jimeny Christmas! there are alot of .web files on my pc! LOL! :) Are these files that are regenerated even after I delete them (like temp files?)
I am deleting them including a folder named system.web. Let me know if the folder was not supposed to be deleted so I can restore it before my recycle bin is emptied.
I checked the knowledge base article but I am not getting any of those errors. The error I am getting is "log in denied." Keep in mind I am publishing to a Unix server because my host does not offer a Windows server.

That is interesting that someone else creates the FP extensions for Unix.

Ask a Question