creating spreadsheet w/ if then sum categories

T

TBIV

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I'm trying to create a budget. On sheet one, I have listed several categories w/ the budgeted amount for that month. On sheet two, I'm listing the category of the expense, and the amount. I'm trying to create a function on the right side of sheet one that lists a total for a particular category for that month. I'm requesting some help in how to type the function on the right side of sheet one.

In layman's terms, it would read "if category on sheet 2 column a = 'groceries', then sum column c in that row."...if that makes sense.

Any help with how to actually type it into the formula bar and have it work would be appreciated!

P

pjonesCET

IF(sheet2!C1="Groceries"), =(Sheet1!A1) ?

see if this works.

you can while in the cell you can choose insert function the insert items in proper places and it will build the formula.

When referencing places in different sheets for Mac you have to format as SheetX!A1) x being the the sheet number

C

CyberTaz

One option: Use this fx on Sheet1:

=SUMIF(Sheet2!$A:$A,"groceries",Sheet2!$C:$C)

You may need to modify the references for columns A & C of Sheet2 if there
is content in those columns other than the values involved... This fx as
written examines all cells in each of those columns.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Ask a Question