error message keeps on poping up: connectionfailed blocking entourage

I

ivo

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel
Email Client: pop

hi,

have this error message poping up all the time after i repaired my database. it says:
"connection failed " . (there is no error code) "the server may not exist or is not operational at this time. check the server name or ip address and try again".
whenever i click on the "ok" button, the message pops up immediately again and i can't really do anything in entourage since i first have to click on the ok button since otherwise entourage is not responding and instantly the message comes up again.

tried fixing the database again, but no cure.

trashed all preference but this seems to be some issue of the database.

anybody knows where entourage tries to connect to and how to disable this?

tried to check with little snitch but somehow i can't figure out what the problem is.

like this even my full office 2008 get blocked because i always have to press the ok button, otherwise i can't access anything.

please help me!

ivo

I

ivo

just found out that this message window keeps popping up, even when i close entourage (by force quitting it). only once i restart the laptop completely the message is not showing, but once i start entourage it keeps on showing.

D

Diane Ross

have this error message poping up all the time after i repaired my database.
it says:
"connection failed " . (there is no error code) "the server may not exist or
is not operational at this time. check the server name or ip address and try
again".
whenever i click on the "ok" button, the message pops up immediately again and
i can't really do anything in entourage since i first have to click on the ok
button since otherwise entourage is not responding and instantly the message
comes up again.

Let's eliminate your database as part of the problem. Create a new Identity
in Entourage.

1) On the Entourage menu, click Switch Identity.
2) If a confirmation message appears, click Switch
3) Select "Create an identity"
4) Click New, and then in the Identity name box, type a name for the new
identity. You can name it "Test"
5) After you create an identity, the Entourage Setup Assistant appears and
helps you set up your account.
6) Under the Options tab in the Account window, select to Leave mail on
server. Important for this test.

If this fixes the problem, we will need to move your data over. We can
discuss this after we know if this works.

You can delete the Identity after testing or leave it there for future
tests.

Also see:

<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301183>

"connection failed erros" can be caused by:
a. Bad router port,
b. Bad cable,
c. Bad ethernet port, or
d. Firewall blocking all LAN access.

I

ivo

dear diane,

thanks for your reply!

somehow the problem just disappeared without me doing much. the "connection failed" window just stopped coming up.

what i had tried before is that i had shifted the entourage database to another user account which i have on the same laptop and here the problem also came up.

it's for sure no network related error since i was able to browse etc at the same time. even the downloading of e-mails worked, but very difficult since i had to always keep on clicking very fast on the "ok" confirmation button of the error message and the very fast on the "send/receive" button of entourage. after 5-10 clicks it worked but and the e-mails got downloaded but it was very difficult to read them because of this error message interrupting all the time.
so i think we can exclude general network problems. tried to rebuild the database several times and when i had put it into the trash bin and wanted to empty the trash bin that didn't work since the "database" was still active even without any office applications been opened. somehow the database was still active as i had explained above the error message kept on popping up when all office apps had been shut down already.

think i can remember now also that this problem seems to be coming up mostly when i have just rebuilt/repaired the database and after a few days just disappears again. since i'm not rebuilding my database so often it took me until now to see that this seems to be a persisting problem with my database.

I just tried one of the backed up database which were created the during the multiple tries I did and on this database the error still keeps on popping up button the newer one it is not coming up any more. and I also did a “test”” identity as you described and also It did not have the error message coming up.

for now the problem seems solved but since it was happening already before that it disappeared and came up again it would be great to find out the reason .

thanks and regards, ivo

D

Diane Ross

so i think we can exclude general network problems. tried to rebuild the
database several times and when i had put it into the trash bin and wanted to
empty the trash bin that didn't work since the "database" was still active
even without any office applications been opened. somehow the database was
still active as i had explained above the error message kept on popping up
when all office apps had been shut down already.

I'm wondering if you have a second copy of Office installed....perhaps a
backup and you are actually running that application. Open Activity Monitor
in your Utilities folder. Select "All Processes" or "My Processes" and see
if Microsoft Entourage is listed.

Also from the Dock, click and hold on the Entourage icon. Select "Show in
Finder" to locate the Entourage application.

Ask a Question