File Save functions do not work

G

George

I have Word 2002 SP2, on Win2K Pro.
I cannot save a file. None of the file save functions
work. When I select a saving function, nothing happens. I
tried the File Save, Save As, Save All, Save as Web page.
I tried from the File menu, and also from the icons on the
tool bar, and also CTRL-s.
I did a 'detect and repair' and it did not help. Then I
reinstalled Office, and still no luck.
There are no error messages, and no events in the event
log. It acts as if the save function is disabled. I went
to Tools-Options-Save and changed a few settings, but did
not help. All the other functions in the File menu are
working. All other functions I've tried in other menus
are working. I came in one day, tried to save a file, and
could not. Click on save-as, and nothing happens - no
dialog box opens. The day before, I could save files. I'm
wondering if there is a master control over the file save
that somehow got set? I'll appreciate any help.

George

H

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Disabled Save/Save As often is a sign of a Word macro virus. Update your A/V
software and scan for infections.

Alternatively... are you sure you're not in reduced-function mode, which
happens when Word/Office 2002/3 need to be activated? Try Help - Activate
Product to see if this is the problem.

D

DreamWriter

My SAVE function also stopped working in Word 2000 recently. At first I thought it was some new problem with Adobe Acrobat 5.05. (Distiller or PDFMaker caused Word 2000 SAVE problems after creating a PDF file from within Word.)

When I click on the SAVE icon on the toolbar, or click FILE -- SAVE or FILE -- SAVE AS in Word, nothing happens. I replaced my custom Normal.dot from the backup. No change. Did a DETECT and REPAIR. No change. Disabled the Office Plugin in Norton AntiVirus 2004 Pro. No change. No viruses were found on last night's scan.

Excel is still able to create a PDF from within Excel without this problem. It's SAVE function still works. If this is due to a macro virus, then it may start to affect Excel, too, in time. I will update my AntiVirus definitions, rescan, and see if any viruses are found.

A complete removal of Office and reinstallation DOES restore my SAVE function temporarily, but that's a lot of work, and it is gone again as soon as I convert a Word document to a PDF from within Word using eitherAdobe Acrobat Distiller 5.05 or PDFMaker 5.05. I never had this problem before and always used to be able to create PDFs from within Word. I've been doing it for several months without a problem, until this month.

My system is stable otherwise. I recently reformatted my hard drive, reinstalled all my programs and Windows/Office updates. I would love to resolve this so I can use Word and Acrobat normally again. It is a lot of work to uninstall Office and reinstall it and to uninstall Acrobat and reinstall it because I have a lot of custom settings in both apps. I would love to know what is causing this problem and how to fix it.

Ask a Question