font for Croatian alphabet

E

expate

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Power PC

First off, I'm new(ish) to Macs, not entirely willingly. I've managed OK so far but have now come up against a problem that is frustrating me.

I'm helping my husband by putting the correct alphabet characters in an article he is writing about Serbian film. For example there are Latin characters (hence the Croatian reference in the subject line) for "ch", "zh", "sh", etc. that consist of "c", "z", and "s" with various accents over them.

I easily accomplished this task on my PC at work (insert -> symbol -> select the font from the dropdown -> select the character -> insert) and emailed the document to my home computer (Mac) to work on it some more. The correct characters weren't there. Instead there were empty, vertical rectangular boxes. I couldn't fix the problem. Someone suggested that I get the new Office 2008 for Mac. I did, installed it, and that didn't help.

I've read in Word Help that Unicode allows for a large assortment of languages to be used, including Croatian, but I can't for the life of me figure where those are or how to access them.

Hellllllp! Please?

T

thg

I'm helping my husband by putting the correct alphabet characters in an article he is writing about Serbian film. For example there are Latin characters (hence the Croatian reference in the subject line) for "ch", "zh", "sh", etc. that consist of "c", "z", and "s" with various accents over them.

Go to system preferences/international/input menu and check the box
for Croatian, plus the box for "show input menu in Finder." Then
select Croatian in the "flag" menu at the top right of the Finder.
You should be able to input ¹ð¾èæ using the keys labeled []\\;' ifyou
have the normal US keyboard. See if Lucida Grande works and then try
other fonts. Some may not have the necessary characters.

Ask a Question