How do I locate a missing wordart font?

G

Gabbon

Hi,
I have a publication that is some six years old, and it contains an
unrecognised wordart font. Sad thing is I have no idea which font it
originally contained, and have no way of finding out.
Is there a way of extracting this information from the wordart so I can
install the font and dispaly the graphic correctly?
thanks.

B

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Gabbon,

You mention an 'unrecognised' font. Are you getting an error message or is it just the name that isn't familiar to you?

What version of Word are you using now and when the document was created (if you recall)?

What is the name of the font?

If this is in WordArt within a Word document and double clicking the WordArt item doesn't show the name of the font in the edit box
then you may want to check in
Tools=>Options=>Compatability=>[Font Substitutions] (while the document is open)
to see if Windows has used an available font for a missing one.

Before doing that check in File=>Print to see that you have selected a truetype font capable printer (one other than 'generic/text'
printer). WordArt (while editable) uses the Windows installed Truetype fonts, rather than ones of its own.

========
Hi,
I have a publication that is some six years old, and it contains an
unrecognised wordart font. Sad thing is I have no idea which font it
originally contained, and have no way of finding out.
Is there a way of extracting this information from the wordart so I can
install the font and dispaly the graphic correctly?
thanks. >>
--
Bob Buckland ?:)
MS Office System Products MVP

Pricing and Packages for '2007 Microsoft Office System'
http://microsoft.com/office/preview

Reaction score
Found a way to extract the hidden font name from Publisher Word Art! Problem exists when you open a Publisher file on a computer that doesn't have the font installed that the Word Art is looking for. It doesn't show name of missing font, it is just blank.

(This is different than regular text in the Publisher file, where upon opening you getting a warning of missing fonts, and a chance to substitute them. WordArt fonts are also NOT listed under Tools - Commercial Printing Tools - Fonts)

The trick to find the font name used in Word Art: Open the Publisher file. Write down the text that is in Word Art. For example: “Beautiful Pony.” Now close the Publisher file.

Right click the same file and now chose Open with Notepad. Use Ctrl +F to open find tool. In the Find field type in a significant word from text you wrote down, in my example I'll use "Pony." Type the letters of the words with a space between each letter: P o n y. Click the down arrow next to the search field to find the occurrence of the word "Pony." If the same word shows up in some other context, like in a name of a jpg image, just click on the down arrow until you see the word followed by the name of a font.

In my example I found "B e a u t i f u l P o n y B e n g u i a t F r i s k y. " In this case I need to install Benguiat Frisky. If you have done this correctly, you have NOT changed anything in the file, just done a search and find task. Close Notepad, BEING SURE NOT to save any changes, if it asks. Install the missing font.

Reopen the Publisher file (You may have to right click, choose Open with Publisher if it wants to associate with Notepad the first time.) You should see the Publisher Word Art in the file with its correct font in use, and also listed as the font in the edit WordArt dialogue box.

Ask a Question