Huge PDF files from PPT

J

JonP

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

Just to give one example - I have a PPT file that is .5Mb in size. Printing to PDF in 2-up handout format results in a 12Mb file! This exceeds the email limit for many people.

Anyone got any ideas how I can find out what is causing this massive ballooning?

I have tried the same PPT on a Windows PC using PPT 2007 and the file is still over 10Mb.

S

Steve Rindsberg

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

Just to give one example - I have a PPT file that is .5Mb in size. Printing to PDF in 2-up
handout format results in a 12Mb file! This exceeds the email limit for many people.
Anyone got any ideas how I can find out what is causing this massive ballooning?

I have tried the same PPT on a Windows PC using PPT 2007 and the file is still over 10Mb.

Start by removing the "eye-candy" effects from text and shapes. A glow, for example, is stored in
PPT's file as a simple number. Takes up next to no file space. In printouts and PDFs it turns
into an image, which eats a LOT more file space. Several orders of magnitude more.

J

JonP

I have little or no eye-candy.

About the only thing I have are drop shadows on some text boxes and shapes.

I will try dropping those and see if it changes anything.

I just tried zipping one of the files that Acrobat shrunk to 7Mb from 12Mb and it only reduces by a tiny amount - so whatever is in the darn thing won't compress either.

S

Steve Rindsberg

I have little or no eye-candy.

About the only thing I have are drop shadows on some text boxes and shapes.

I will try dropping those and see if it changes anything.

I just tried zipping one of the files that Acrobat shrunk to 7Mb from 12Mb and it only
reduces by a tiny amount - so whatever is in the darn thing won't compress either.

It already IS compressed. The new PPT 2007/2008 format is, in fact, a ZIP file.

Ask a Question