Mailbox Permissions

J

James

Ok, I have something that has happened to one of my users that I have never seen before. Microsoft Outlook 2003 – Microsoft Exchange Server 2003

Client A creates a new calendar in his mailbox on the Exchange Server. He gives permissions to people to review it. To view this calendar, he had them add his name as an additional account in their mailbox, however, they do not see it.

As a test, Client A gives reviewer access to his whole Mailbox. When they add his account again, and try to open it - now they are able to see the Calendar (note: no other folders are visible).

Question 1: If he gave reviewer access to his people for his whole mailbox, should they be able to see all his folders? I would think so, however, they do not see them – only the calendar he created and gave Reviewer permission to as well.

Ok, a year goes by – suddenly – they are able to see his system Clean-up folder. (Note: On the server, calendar items are set to expire after 1 year and get moved to the clean up folder). His people can not only see the calendar items in the system clean-up folder, but the whole folder (sent items, old mail messages, etc...). When I looked at the permissions for the Clean-up folder it showed everyone with Reviewer access to it. – On top of that, we removed all permissions from the system cleanup folder and a few days later they are there again. I can only guess that new (expired) Calendar items have been moved in there again and everyone is back to having Reviewer access again.

Question 2: Do the permissions move with the expired calendar entries to the system clean-up folder. I would not think that they would, but it seems to be the case.

If you think about question 2 – If we look at it like file permissions – if a file moves from 1 folder to another folder on a NTFS drive, it would retain the permission it had. From all appearances, it looks like these calendar items are doing this, but then the whole folder is taking on the permissions as well.

Anyone with any thoughts on these two questions?

Ask a Question