Major font (color) trouble in Word for Mac

P

parttimegenius

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: intel

Hi,

I am a professionals copywriter (Dutch) and have noticed some very frustrating behavior recently. Many of my clients (both PC and Mac users with a wide variety of MS Office and OpenOffice versions) see all my text in weird colors. Many times the font appears as lime on yellow. Other times as green on a blue background. It's as if I am the copywriter for Sesame Street ;-)

Seriously, it's unworkable, not to mention highly unprofessional. Just for good measure: I tried changing the font color to black, grays and blues but it doesn't have any impact, except on my own screen.

As far as I can tell (not everyone informs me) this affects well over 50% of the recipients, many of which are larger organizations. I'm seriously thinking of switching to OpenOffice, because I come across as some half wit, which I am, but only in the weekend.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
Thanks,

Erwin

P

parttimegenius

Specs: OSX 10.5.2 on a 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Office for Mac 12.0.1
Entourage latest. Ecoding set to "double"
Problem occurs with .doc documents (which is still pretty much the standard at the moment)

P

parttimegenius

Just got two more calls: the font appears mostly as a light yellow on a white background.

J

John McGhie

Hi Erwin:

You are sending 24-bit RGB colours, are you?

Office does not implement any higher colour standards.

Cheers

I noticed. Which is why I added the specs. ;-)

--
Don't wait for your answer, click here: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Please reply in the group. Please do NOT email me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Sydney, Australia. S33°53'34.20 E151°14'54.50
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:[email protected]

P

parttimegenius

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply!

As for the RGB settings; I have no idea. I never changed any settings, so I guess I use defaults. My font is simply black and (occasionally) does show up as black on other computers, but mostly (and most unfortunately) as a greenish yellow.

I just downloaded NeoOffice to test it on my own Mac and - indeed - many (but not all!) of my Office documents display this behavior. On our PC (WinXP, older Office version) I get the same results. Additionally, this font color issue is new, in that I am certain it didn't occur, say, about a month ago.

Because of these reasons (not occurring indiscriminately and of recent date) I don't see how the RGB settings can have anything to do with it, or am I mistaken?

Thanks again,

Erwin

P

parttimegenius

Update: did and checked everything I could think of (including a re-install) but the problem persists, rendering Word pretty useless. As off yesterday, I switched to NeoOffice. If anyone ever comes up with a solution, I'll re-evaluate my options.

Kind regards,

Erwin

Ask a Question