Moving Messages from the Sent Items to another folder

J

jeffreysmith9900

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel
Email Client: Exchange

I have a strange "bug" or feature that I don't think has been asked or answered yet. I have a client, and I have confirmed this as well, who likes to take items from the sent items and move them to specific folders after they have sent it so they can keep their thoughts organized with what has been sent. Of course, this worked great in outlook however there an interesting thing in Entourage where after I move the email to the other folder, it disappears from the view in the new folder. However, it shows up in an advanced search as being in the new folder but never shows up in the view.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Jeff

W

William Smith [MVP]

I have a strange "bug" or feature that I don't think has been asked
or answered yet. I have a client, and I have confirmed this as well,
who likes to take items from the sent items and move them to specific
folders after they have sent it so they can keep their thoughts
organized with what has been sent. Of course, this worked great in
outlook however there an interesting thing in Entourage where after I
move the email to the other folder, it disappears from the view in
the new folder. However, it shows up in an advanced search as being
in the new folder but never shows up in the view.

If you see this in just one or a handful of folders then right-click or
Control-click that folder, select Folder Properties and click the Empty
button to empty the cache. You can also select the account itself and
empty the cache for all of your folders.

If this doesn't help then you may have Database corruption. With
Exchange accounts, I suggest you use the Entourage menu --> Switch
Identity... feature to set up your account again and let Entourage
re-sync from your server.

Hope this helps!

--

bill

Entourage Help Page <http://entourage.mvps.org/>
Entourage Help Blog <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/>
YouTalk <http://nine.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/youtalk>
Twitter: follow <http://twitter.com/meck>

J

JGN

I can relate...and often want to save my Sent emails for various legacy/informational purposes myself and have had the same issue. However, although I don't have it all figured out yet, I can tell you that once an email is moved FROM the Sent Items folder TO any other folder (that I know of)...1) the email, as listed in the folder list view in the middle pane, now states who it is "From" (ie, yourself), NOT who it is "To" as it does when it resides in the Sent Items folder (and NOTHING I have tried changes this - ie, the Sent Items folder seems to have unique properties unavailable in or to any other folder created that lists who email was sent "To", as it should, but once moved anywhere else, it always reports who it is "From" strangely enough - when moved BACK to the Sent Items folder it reverts back to its normal self), 2) the email immediately gets thrown/sorted to the bottom (usually - assuming a descending sort order) of that folder (again while saying its From you and not To whom it was actually sent) and 3) regardless of the actual date sent, the message never sorts normally/correctly along with the rest of the emails in that new folder based on the date stamp like everything else does. In other words...once a sent email is moved from the Sent Items folder to another folder it takes on very unusual characteristics unlike other messages in the system. I am trying to figure this out once and for all and don't have all the answers yet. What I can tell you right now is that most if not all of the time the message does NOT actually disappear once moved (hence the reason you found it when searching globally for it), HOWEVER, once moved, the message changes in strange but consistent ways as mentioned above such that it is much more difficult to find, ID, etc, especially when placed in another folder containing numerous emails. Try it...move one sent message to a newly created folder containing nothing else...and you will see what I mean. Then move it to another folder containing numerous emails (remember - what happens to it there depends on how that folder was set up to be sorted, etc). At least now you know what happens to such messages and how to look for/find them. I hope this helps.

Ask a Question