Ms Access 2003 and Visual SourceSafe

R

Richard

Hello People,

I tried for the first time the latest stable VSS version with service pack 6 and with integration to Ms Access 2003.
I could have selected other products but my thought was that I want a good integration with Ms Access.
I have to say, that so far, VSS caused me a lot of grief. Quite frankly I am surprised that this product
is considered 'stable' by Microsoft, so much for "Stable" -

1. I have created a new database from Ms Access in SourceSafe using the integrated commands on Ms Access
('Add database to VSS'). I then, from VSS Explorer, branch the tree so that bug fixes can be done on the new branch and
the major development is done on the main branch. Having done that I want to merge changes from the bug fixes branch
to the main branch. I get the diff merge tool as there are conflicts, so far so good. Having decided what changes
I want to commint to the main branch I try to check-in the merged file but.... how on earth do I check-in those changes.
VSS gives me error message stating that the project is an integrated project and therefore I cannot check-in from withing
the VSS explorer. Should I understand that all bug fixes have to be applied manually on the main branch?

2. My previous databases were constructed with Ms Access 2000. I now have Ms Access 2003 so I convert the database
to 2003 format using the conversion utility within Ms Access 2003. From Ms Access I select the 'Add database to VSS'
and I add my converted database.
I (or a different developer) try to 'Create a database from VSS project' but then we get errors stating Ms Access
cannot import <objec>, and to add insult on injury, despite having about 30GB free hard disk space, we also get
stupid error messages stating that we ran out of free temporary disk space, hello that was 30GB of free hard disk space.
If I do not convert my database from 2000 format to 2003 format I can download objects from VSS to Ms Access.

If you know how to recrify these errors please let me know.

Cheers,
Richard

Ask a Question