Need Help on Subtotal Forumla in List Manager

F

fmckinnon

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

Hey Gang,

The Short story:
Want to be able to have the same "subtotals" options (ie. at each change in "DATE" use function "SUM", summary data below, etc) that are available to me in Data > Subtotals, but within a List Manager. (The Data > Subtotals feature is greyed out in List Manager)

Details:

I hope someone can help me figure this out. I've got an ongoing list that requires the use of List Manager. (it's an ongoing list of orders and net P&L, and I often use the list manager sorting features to display ONLY the rows from certain vendors, etc).

Without List Manager, I can choose "Subtotal" from the Data menu and have the option to display the subtotal by date, under each date. This is great, and exactly what I want.

However, with List Manager, I can only go to the "show totals" line, and choose the "Sum" function to show a total at the very bottom.

I'm pretty sure it's possible to make the "at each change in DATE, use function SUM" formula ... but I have no clue how to do it. When I look at the actual formula, it just looks like a SUM formula of all the cells. I have no clue where the information is that makes it display as daily subtotals - there are options like "display totals underneath data, page breaks, etc".

Thanks in advance.

C

CyberTaz

Hint: You can't apply the Sub Totals feature to a List, but have you
considered applying the List Manager to a Sub Totaled list of records?

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

F

fmckinnon

Hey Bob,
I figured that out last night ... that works great assuming I'm done with the file - but I add to it, new rows every day ... after converting it BACK to a list, when I try to add a new row above the last days' subtotal - in the date field, it converts to some huge number for some reason?

C

CyberTaz

I'm afraid I can't visualize what you're describing... Can you be more exact
as to exactly how you're going about it & what specifically happens contrary
to what you expect?

J

JBR

Hi McKinnon,

The easiest way to do this is going to be using a pivot table. It will allow
you a lot of flexibility in how you subtotal. Be warned, if your list is
large, it made take a minute or more for it process all of the cells.

The Total Row is generally only going to show you a total of the visible
cells. If you only need one subtotal at a time and not a summary of all
subtotals, use the Autofilter to select the date you want subtotals for.

Cheers,
Jason

Ask a Question