Opening .docx in Word:mac 2004

D

Dodiad

Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I am still running Word 2004 (for the sake of VBA, out with which I cannot live) under Leopard 10.5.8. I split my work between my office and home computers, using a remote home folder on the company server for file sharing. My home computer only has Word 2004 installed, but the one at the office came pre-stocked with the Office 2008 suite; I then installed my own copy of 2004 for the sake of the VBA (not with which I can live without). So the office computer has both 2004 and 2008 installed, though do all my work in 2004 and never open Word 2008.

Many of my the documents I receive from my colleagues (both Mac- and Windows-based) are in .docx format. To my surprise, I have found that Word 2004 has no trouble opening these documents on my office computer, after throwing up a dialog box saying "This document was created in a newer version of Microsoft Office. Do you want to convert it?" This does not work on my computer at home.

So my question is, how can this be? Is there a conversion filter or some other such file lurking in an application support folder somewhere, that I could copy to my home computer to get it to convert .docx documents too? Sure would make my life easier...

C

Clive Huggan

Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.0.2 is available as a download from
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.mspx (top right, ³Most popular²).

I not only put the converter in the Dock, I also put an alias at the top of
Finder windows so it¹s more accessible.

Cheers,

Clive Huggan
Canberra, Australia
(My time zone is 5-11 hours different from the Americas and Europe, so my
follow-on responses to those regions can be delayed)
====================================================

Your post via Mactopia may not be seen by the volunteer experts in the
Word:Mac newsgroup. To make sure, please see
http://word.mvps.org/Mac/AccessNewsgroups.html
====================================================

D

Dodiad

Thank you, but this was not my question. It seems there must be something on my office computer that is somehow enabling Word 2004 to convert and open .docx files directly. I'm guessing it has something to do with the Office 2008 installation coexisting with it on the machine. What I'm asking is, is there a file somewhere in the Office 2008 installation that I can copy to my home machine to port this same capability there?

C

CyberTaz

Once you install the OXML Converters for which Clive provided the link your
Office 2004 apps will have the ability you seek. The point Clive was making
is that the Converter is also usable as a standalone application for the
purpose of batch conversions as well as converting individual files. So yes,
it is the answer to your question :)

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Ask a Question