Outlook 2002 Crashes on "Big Memory" System

J

John Miller

I've run Outlook 2002 since it came out, but recently encountered an exasperating problem when I installed it on my new system (Abit IC7-MAX3 motherboard, P4-3.0, 1 GB RAM) which has two users (both administrators).

If one user runs Outlook, then when the second user runs it, it crashes with the error message labeled, "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library", and stating, "Runtime Error! Program: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OUTLOOK.EXE abnormal program termination". After clicking "OK" to close the dialog box, Outlook exits. Then it is possible to start Outlook normally, and it runs fine. But then when the other user runs it, it goes through the same crash-and-burn. It doesn't matter whether the first user is still logged in, nor does it matter whether the first user still has Outlook running or not. Nor is it a faulty installation, since I've reinstalled my entire system twice (for other reasons) since first discovering this problem.

The only thing I can see that's unique is the large memory complement on this new system. Has anyone else experienced this? Better yet, does anyone have a solution?

Thanks.

- John

Ask a Question