Outlook Aborts after Switching Users

J

John Miller

I have a fresh installation of Windows XP Professional and Office XP Standard with all the current critical updates and all the applicable Windows XP and Office XP recommended updates installed. My system has two users (both with administrator privileges) plus the Administrator account.

When one user (either one) runs and closes Outlook, then the other user logs on and runs Outlook, the second user receives the error dialogue, "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library / Runtime Error! / Program: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OUTLOOK.EXE \ abnormal program termination", and Outlook closes. The second user can then run Outlook again successfully, as well as close it and run it again any number of times without error. When the second user closes Outlook and the first user logs on and runs Outlook, the same thing happens.

During a single login session, after receiving the first error message, either user can run an exit Outlook repeatedly with no further error dialogues. Anybody have an idea what's going on? I've tried doing a "Detect and Repair" with no improvement. And of course, like 'most all Microsoft error messages, there's no information provided to give any indication of the diagnosis of or solution to the problem.

- John

Ask a Question