Override Default IMAP port

A

Ashdowne

I am having a problem getting Entourage to consistently receive my email. I believe I have found the problem, but something about Entourage is preventing me from repairing it.

When I create my email account, under "Receiving Mail" I click on "Click here for advanced receiving options" and enter the information required by my ISP.

I check all three items: This IMAP service requires a secure connection, Override default IMAP port (and I set the port to 993 as required by my email provider), and Always use secure password.

The problem is that "Override default IMAP port" always unchecks itself somehow. No matter what combination I try, when I go back in to that panel, the other two items are still checked and the Override default IMAP port has unchecked itself. The port that I entered, however, 993, stays the same.

Can you tell me what is going wrong? I believe that this is what is causing my Entourage not to receive my emails.

Thanks.

W

William Smith

I am having a problem getting Entourage to consistently receive my
email. I believe I have found the problem, but something about Entourage
is preventing me from repairing it.

When I create my email account, under "Receiving Mail" I click on
"Click here for advanced receiving options" and enter the information
required by my ISP.

I check all three items: This IMAP service requires a secure
connection, Override default IMAP port (and I set the port to 993 as
required by my email provider), and Always use secure password.

The problem is that "Override default IMAP port" always unchecks
itself somehow. No matter what combination I try, when I go back in to
that panel, the other two items are still checked and the Override
default IMAP port has unchecked itself. The port that I entered,
however, 993, stays the same.

Can you tell me what is going wrong? I believe that this is what is
causing my Entourage not to receive my emails.

Thanks.

Nothing is wrong. By default IMAP over SSL uses port 993.

The checkbox is only if you need to *override* that default port number
with a different number.

Are you sure you need the third option "Always use secure password" checked?

Can you post a link to the instructions that your service provider gave you?

--

bill

William M. Smith, Microsoft Interop MVP - Mac/Windows
Entourage Help Page <http://entourage.mvps.org/>
Entourage Help Blog <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/>

A

Ashdowne

That's a great answer Bill. Thanks. Now it makes sense. I tested it too, and sure enough if I put anything but 993 in there, it stuck.

Thanks for the info.

No, I'm not sure that I absolutely need "Always use secure password" checked. In fact, I just unchecked it and I am receiving my mail!

At one point (in some configuration) I had Entourage working where I could go take it offline, then online, and it would receive mail once. Then I'd have to repeat that procedure to get it to receive. Actually, I just tried to receive again with an email that I know is on the server and it seems to only work when I do this procedure. Hmmmmm.

That was why I turned on the "always use secure password" in the beginning, but that's when I started getting the dreaded "Authentication failed because Entourage doesn't support any of the the available authentication methods" error -17897. Removing the "always use secure password" check seemed to fix that. But I'm not sure that I don't have to use my offline/online trick anymore. I'll test that tomorrow when I start getting real email.

The instructions from my ISP are here: <http://www.apluskb.com/scripts/How_do_I_configure_the_answer3582.html>

Thanks Bill. I SURE want to use Entourage over Mac's Mail.

Scott

Ask a Question