Password protection

B

bhorv67

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

How can I make power point files read only in 2008. This feature is possible on PC versions of office- why not OSX?

Is there a workaround?

D

Don

Is there a workaround?

No. As second-class citizens, Mac users don't have access to some of the fancy (probably useless) features of the PC version.

<Pontification>
Given that:
1. People who are determined to steal content from a presentation will, regardless of the protection scheme
2. Legitimate users on Macs who want to view any password-protected documents can't, apparently no matter how hard they try
It seems logical to infer that DRM was created to hurt legitimate users and thus serves no real purpose.
</Pontification>

J

Jim Gordon MVP

Don said:
Is there a workaround?

Yes, there is.

You can control who has access to the file instead of who can open the
file. The level of security is the same.

Upload your file to one of two new Microsoft services available to Mac
users:

Office Live Workspace
http://office.live.com/
Restricts access and offers the bonus of version control and tracking.

Mesh.com
http://www.mesh.com/
Restricts access. Requires a software install.

-Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

P

Pale_Rider

These are not reasonable or even adequate solutions. They require my colleagues to accommodate my choice of Mac. There are actually two problems here: (1) I can open password-protected files in Word 08, but not PPT or Excel. And (2) I cannot create protected files. I understand MS and Apple are not best of friends, but I paid hundreds of dollars for the licenses on my Macs at home and work, And now that the PCs in our office have been catching up with the Office 07 installs, I am once again ghetto-ized.

J

Jim Gordon MVP

These are not reasonable or even adequate solutions. They require my colleagues to accommodate my choice of Mac. There are actually two problems here: (1) I can open password-protected files in Word 08, but not PPT or Excel. And (2) I cannot create protected files. I understand MS and Apple are not best of friends, but I paid hundreds of dollars for the licenses on my Macs at home and work, And now that the PCs in our office have been catching up with the Office 07 installs, I am once again ghetto-ized.

Hi,

You should be able to open password protected Excel and Word documents,
but not PowerPoint documents. If you are having troubles opening Excel
documents there might be something that can be done, as long as the
problem doesn't involve VBA macros or digitally signed code (which is
not the same thing as password protection).

Microsoft's Mac Business Unit (known as MacBU) needs to hear about your
PowerPoint situation. Use Help > Send Feedback to explain how this lack
of cross-platform compatibility affects your ability to use the product.
Express your dissatisfaction, but try not to whine (it's not as
convincing with whine).

-Jim

Ask a Question