PowerPoint encountered an error and needs toquit when opening exported Keynote presentation

T

thisyear

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: intel

I have attempted to export my Keynote presentations to PowerPoint, but when I open these files in PowerPoint I get the error message:

"PowerPoint encountered an error and needs
to quit.To save a copy of the current prsentation, on the File menu, click Save As and give the document a new name.Save any other open presentations, and then quit and reopen PowerPoint."

I am running the Office 2008 12.1.0 and Keynote 08 (v4.0.3).

I have read on other forums that deleting all the presenter notes results in the presentation opening successfully. I use presenter notes heavily and this is not a satisfactory answer.

Observations:
Exported presentation is opened and viewed fine in Windows PowerPoint Viewer (on Vista), Open Office (on Windows) and Google (when I email it to myself, I can click 'view presentation' and it displays correctly). Because the file seems to work in older versions of PowerPoint as well as competing products I am lead to believe it is a problem with PowerPoint 08 for Mac.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I was surprised to find so few discussions about it, but the discussions I did find matched my situation exactly.

A

Andrew Chiang [MSFT]

Hello,

Can you please try the following with the original or a copy of the Keynote
file?

1. Go to View > Show Presenter Notes
2. Delete out all of the notes across on all slides
3. Export the file again to PowerPoint format
4. Try opening the file again using Mac PowerPoint 08

Let us know if this works or you or not.

Thanks!
Andrew

T

thisyear

I have deleted all presenter notes and exported the file to PowerPoint. This file does open in PowerPoint.

Presenter notes are an important part of the presentations I create, so I'd prefer to not have to delete them when I need to export to PowerPoint. Again, this is only a problem with the Mac:Office products. The exported files, with presenter notes, open fine on Vista and with Open Office.

K

kaywoods

I have this exact same problem when trying to open a Keynote file exported to PPT. Yes, deleting the presenter notes makes the PPT compatible with Keynote -- but incompatible with me, since I need the notes.

Ask a Question