Powerpoint very sluggish and slow

J

jp004303

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I am using a brand new macbook and i have just purchased office 2008. i am finding that word and excell are working brilliantly, very smooth and fast, but powerpoint seems to be running extremely slow, with text taking a few seconds to appear when i type, pictures taking a long time to be moved and rotated.
I need to use powerpoint for work so it is very annoying that it runs slowly.
please help :)

J

Jeff Chapman

I seem to recall that there was an update
released to fix that problem.

In the PowerPoint Help menu, click on
"Check for Updates", and make sure that
your version of PowerPoint is updated to
the latest. See if that helps - good luck.

Jeff

J

jp004303

tried installing the update and it doesnt seem to have improved it :( is there some kind of program running in the background, it just seems odd how a brand new computer can struggle to handle powerpoint
thanks anyway :)

J

Jim Gordon MVP

tried installing the update and it doesnt seem to have improved it :( is there some kind of program running in the background, it just seems odd how a brand new computer can struggle to handle powerpoint
thanks anyway :)

Hi,

There should be several updates to run consecutively. Have you run all
of them?

-Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

WE NEED YOUR HELP!
The number of new Mac users has skyrocketed. That’s excellent. In this
forum all answers come from other users, not from Microsoft employees.
Please help answer questions.

If you see an unanswered question that you know the answer to, please
take just a moment to post the answer. Doing so speeds response time for
people who come here and need fast responses.

If you see an answer that might be wrong or that you can answer better,
hop right in and offer your thoughts. Don’t berate a wrong answer –
we’re all here trying to help each other.

Don’t bother with questions you’re not quite sure about or don’t know about.

Please take just a moment to help fellow Mac users. Your efforts will be
appreciated greatly - especially by those you help.

J

jp004303

ive installed all the updates available from the auto updater
the one i did install didnt actually mention anything about powerpoint, it sounded as if it was just to sort out things in entourage
the problem seems to be on-off and i must admit i have only used the program to make one (rather large 40+ slides) show that i started on a windows version of office (2003 i think)
do you think this might be causing problems?

V

Valerio

ive installed all the updates available from the auto updater the one
i did install didnt actually mention anything about powerpoint, it sounded
as if it was just to sort out things in entourage the problem seems to
be on-off and i must admit i have only used the program to make one (rather
large 40+ slides) show that i started on a windows version of office (2003
i think) do you think this might be causing problems?

I have just bought a MP (latest) with 4 gigs ram and Office 08. A simple PPT presentation with 20 slides is awfully slow! Takes more than 10 secs to switch from one slide to next one. The same on a 4 years old PC with Office XP takes no time for slide transition.
Most slides are images imported from XLS graphs. It looks to me that every time the slide is switched this guy takes ages to apply the anti aliasing. Any possibility to switch this off?

Thanks, Wally

M

Marcia Kaye

I am having the same problem... Never had this with my old powerpoint program on Office 2003 running on the same computer. If anyone has any ideas, please chime in - very frustrating!

MK

D

dano24

I have this problem also, even worse if you are using tables or graphics. text takes forever to appear. I am uptodate with software MS please fix this PPt is my most used ap. I needit to work fast and seemles. PLease.

R

rhartung

We've noticed this problem on a MacBook Pro (4GB RAM) and a Mac Pro (8GB RAM). Specifically, adding text to a presentation can have a delay from moment of typing the text to finally appearing on screen - at least a 5 second delay. Both systems are completely patched Office 2008, both systems are running Mac OS X 10.5, fully patched. The same presentation copied to another Mac Pro (24GB RAM), fully patched et al, does not exhibit the problem.

H

Harry

I also have this same problem with Powerpoint on Office 2008 on a MacBook Pro that has no problems running any other applications. It's so painfully slow, I don't even want to use it. It reminds me of running applications on Windows 2.0. Word, Excel, and all of my other Mac apps run fine and I have all of the latest Microsoft Office updates installed. There's just something wrong with Powerpoint.

H

HappyPig

Me too - I have the same problem running Powerpoint on Office 2008 (ppt v.12.1.4) on a MacBook Pro (10.5.5, 3GB RAM).

I'm currently trying to lay out an academic poster that is 4 feet by 4 feet (saved in a pptx format), and every time I nudge or move an image, the program essentially freezes for ~5 seconds, and I watch PPT's memory usage go from ~511 MB to 1.47 GB. When the program unfreezes after those 5 sec, the memory drops back down. If I dare have any other program open, PPT's demand of 1.5 GB to move an image three pixels over ususally causes OSX to access virtual memory, and things slow down even more.

As comparison, I have never had Keynote do this when I move the same pictures around. As a result of this lag and it being a memory pig, I can't say I'm particularly impressed with the new Powerpoint, and because I don't want to be frustrated making my figures and posters, I find myself defaulting to Keynote more and more.

If this sluggishness and memory issue was fixed, I'd very likely use Powerpoint more.

G

Geoff Bonnin

Me too - I have the same problem running Powerpoint on Office 2008 (ppt
v.12.1.4) on a MacBook Pro (10.5.5, 3GB RAM).

I'm currently trying to lay out an academic poster that is 4 feet by 4 feet
(saved in a pptx format), and every time I nudge or move an image, the program
essentially freezes for ~5 seconds, and I watch PPT's memory usage go from
~511 MB to 1.47 GB. When the program unfreezes after those 5 sec, the memory
drops back down. If I dare have any other program open, PPT's demand of 1.5 GB
to move an image three pixels over ususally causes OSX to access virtual
memory, and things slow down even more.

As comparison, I have never had Keynote do this when I move the same pictures
around. As a result of this lag and it being a memory pig, I can't say I'm
particularly impressed with the new Powerpoint, and because I don't want to be
frustrated making my figures and posters, I find myself defaulting to Keynote
more and more.

If this sluggishness and memory issue was fixed, I'd very likely use
Powerpoint more.

I have the same problem. The 2004 version was nowhere near this slow!!!!
Very frustrating. I backspace to delete characters in the text and its like
molasses.

Ask a Question