ppt embedded object numbers reverting back to original numbers

L

Lance Hoffmeyer

Hey all,

I have a script that takes numbers from XL and inserts them into an embedded
MSGRAPH dataset in PPT. The problem is that when I reopen the modified document
that has been saved as a new filename and doubleclick the embedded datasheet to check the
new numbers they revert back to the original numbers that were present before I modified
them with my script. I am using python instead of VBA for this because I already have
some other code that was already written in python.

I thought that adding these lines and resetting these variables was supposed to prevent
this from happening?

del oGraph (Set oGraph = Nothing)
del PWB (Set PWB = Nothing)
del oHEADER (Set oHeader = Nothing)
del oVALUE (Set oValue = Nothing)

Anyone had experience with this and know what I need to do to keep the embedded datasheet
from reverting back to it's original numbers after modification? Is there something simple
I have missed? Is there some type of global VBA code I can add to a PPT module to prevent
the modified numbers from reverted back to their original numbers when I open the embedded datasheet?

Thanks in advance,

Lance

#################################################################################################################################################################################
#################################################################################################################################################################################
# ADD THIS INTO A MODULE IN PPT TO OBTAIN THE PROG ID OF A SLIDE
#Sub test()
#MsgBox "The Slide ID of the current slide is:" & _
# ActiveWindow.View.Slide.SlideID
#End Sub
def attributesbyID(row,base,slideID,spreadsheet):
sh = wb.Worksheets (spreadsheet)
sh.Select()
LIST = xlparams(row, base)
################ POWERPOINT SECTION ######################
for shape in WB.Slides.FindBySlideID(slideID).Shapes:
if (shape.Type== 7):
for oXLROW,oXLBASE,oXLLASTCOL,oPPTCELL,oPPTHEADERCELL in LIST:
oVALUE = sh.Cells(oXLROW,oXLLASTCOL).Value
oHEADER = sh.Cells(base-1,oXLLASTCOL).Value + " (n=" + str(int(sh.Cells(oXLBASE,oXLLASTCOL).Value)) + ")"
PWB = WB.Slides.FindBySlideID(slideID).Shapes(shape.Name)
oGraph = PWB.OLEFormat.Object
oGraph.Application.datasheet.Range(oPPTCELL).Value = oVALUE
oGraph.Application.datasheet.Range(oPPTHEADERCELL).Value = oHEADER
oGraph.Application.datasheet.Font.Bold=False
del oGraph
del PWB
del oHEADER
del oVALUE
###########################################################

def xlparams(row, base):
lastcol=LASTCOL
############### EXCEL SECTION TO GET NUMBERS #############
thelist=((row,base,lastcol,"A13","013"),(row,base,lastcol-1,"A14","014"),(row,base,lastcol-2,"A15","015"),(row,base,lastcol-3,"A16","016"),
(row+20,base+20,lastcol,"A9","09"),(row+20,base+20,lastcol-1,"A10","010"),(row+20,base+20,lastcol-2,"A11","011"),(row+20,base+20,lastcol-3,"A12","012"),
(row+40,base+40,lastcol,"A5","05"),(row+40,base+40,lastcol-1,"A6","06" ), (row+40,base+40,lastcol-2,"A7","07" ), (row+40,base+40,lastcol-3,"A8","08" ),
(row+60,base+60,lastcol,"A1","01"),(row+60,base+60,lastcol-1,"A2","02" ), (row+60,base+60,lastcol-2,"A3","03" ), (row+60,base+60,lastcol-3,"A4","04" ))
##########################################################
return thelist

## attribute(ROW NUMBER, BASE ROW NUMBER, SLIDE NUMBER)
attributesbyID(14,12,839,"Attributes(116-144)") #attribute 1

L

Lance Hoffmeyer

That did the trick,

Thanks Steve

For anyone who may be interested here is the final incantation of this function.

def attributesbyID(row,base,slideID,spreadsheet):
sh = wb.Worksheets (spreadsheet)
sh.Select()
LIST = xlparams(row, base)
################ POWERPOINT SECTION ######################
for shape in WB.Slides.FindBySlideID(slideID).Shapes:
if (shape.Type== 7):
for oXLROW,oXLBASE,oXLLASTCOL,oPPTCELL,oPPTHEADERCELL in LIST:
oVALUE = sh.Cells(oXLROW,oXLLASTCOL).Value
oHEADER = sh.Cells(base-1,oXLLASTCOL).Value + " (n=" + str(int(sh.Cells(oXLBASE,oXLLASTCOL).Value)) + ")"
PWB = WB.Slides.FindBySlideID(slideID).Shapes(shape.Name)
oGraph = PWB.OLEFormat.Object
# oGraph = shape.OLEFormat.Object
oGraph.Application.datasheet.Range(oPPTCELL).Value = oVALUE
oGraph.Application.datasheet.Range(oPPTHEADERCELL).Value = oHEADER
oGraph.Application.datasheet.Font.Bold=False
oGraph.Application.Update()
oGraph.Application.Quit()
del oGraph

Ask a Question