Problem with form fields in protected documents

D

dr.nixon

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I work for an organization that uses protected forms to apply for institutional resources. Documents have form fields that can be edited but are otherwise protected. We are told that we can unprotect the documents to do spell checks, etc. but forms must be re-protected before submission. It is important to note that form submissions are subject to rejection if they contain spelling or grammar errors, so I can't skip this part!

Every time I do this, unprotect then re-protect allowing only form fill, ALL of the checkboxes in the document are cleared. This is not a trivial issue for me. The document is very long, with many boxes that must be checked. I am growing very tired of having to double-check this document. I'm left with two questions.

First question: Why are the checkboxes cleared? Text fields are not affected, only the checkboxes. This does not happen in Word for Windows ('03 or '07), just in Word for Mac (both '04 and '08). Why the inconsistency? I find myself switching into Parallels repeatedly every time I need to make changes, because it's easier than using Word 08 and losing the checkboxes.

Second question: Why is spell check disabled for form fields anyway? There doesn't seem to be any logical reason for disabling spell / grammar check for editable areas of protected documents. If this at least worked, I wouldn't have to unprotect the document at all, avoiding the problem altogether.

I'm looking for help here but I'm afraid the answer is going to be what it usually is - somewhere in the spectrum between "it's not a bug, it's a feature!" and "we're working on it, just wait 'til the next version."

C

CyberTaz

Well, you may be in for a [pleasant?] surprise :) Use the Lock button on
the Forms toolbar to turn the protection on/off - the checkboxes &
drop-downs won't get cleared. It's only if you use the Protect/Unprotect
Document command in the Tools menu that the refresh happens. The button runs
the ProtectForm command rather than the ProtectDocument command. You can add
the command to additional toolbars as well as assign a keystroke to it.

I'm afraid I can't give you the whys & wherefores, but I can tell you that
there are VBA options as well... but they won't do you any good in 2008
since VBA isn't supported. It is slated for return in Mac Office Next,
however. If you're interested here's the link:

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/macrosvba/TurnFmFlfResetOff.htm

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Ask a Question