TNEF's Enough not opening winmail.dat

• Thread starter NewAccountCozOldOneFailed
  • Start date
N

NewAccountCozOldOneFailed

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel
Email Client: pop

I know TNEF's Enough is not a Microsoft product, but since 1) winmail.dat files are STILL a @%#$^*$ issue in Entourage 2008, and 2) TNEFs Enough is STILL the only answer I see, and 3) TNEFs Enough is not working for me any longer, I thought I'd try a post here and see if anyone else is dealing with this.

A colleague sent me an email group from Outlook. It arrived in my Entourage as a winmail.dat file. TNEFs Enough opened it but created an file with a single error message and no data: "This attachment is a MAPI 1.0 embedded message and is not supported by this mail system.

M

marizona

Hi

I posted here in February about the winmail.dat issue. I bought Office 2008 assuming that this issue would be fixed as it seems central to Outlook and Entourage compatability. It is extremely annoying and something I deal with every day.

Microsoft suggests either using TNEF's Enough or telling senders to change their Outlook settings so they don't send rich text files. While TNEF works it's not at all convenient and requires saving docs, converting and naming. Asking users to change their e-mail settings is totally impractical because most users don't want to mess with it or don't know how.

I have no idea if Microsoft has any plans on addressing this in Entourage itself. It's been an issue for years. Maybe they should contract Josh Jacobs, TNEF's Enough to do it for them.

M

Michel Bintener

Hi,

please not that Microsoft most probably never made a statement like this; it
must have been one of the Microsoft MVPs, who are actually volunteers and
who do not work for Microsoft.

These newsgroups are generally not monitored by Microsoft employees, so if
you want your feedback to be read by the right people, click on Help>Send
Feedback about Entourage and complete the feedback form online.

A

Adam Bailey

I have no idea if Microsoft has any plans on addressing this in Entourage
itself.

Outlook hasn't defaulted to RTF in years, and Microsoft discourages its
use. This isn't likely to be fixed in Entourage.

Ask a Question