Using Layers to track changes

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have series of visio diagrams that are used by team members for our IT projects. I have created a 'base' set of diagrams that I would like to be the blue print for all future projects. What I would like is to be able to view only the update/changes anybody has made from the blueprint version.

I have used layers thoroughout the diagrams and thought that if I added all icons to a single base layer that I would simply be able to remove that layer and see only the only updates that have been made from the original. The problem is that because an icon be associated to both the base layer and another layer(s) that this does not work.

Any ideas on how I can apply icons to multiple layers and still be able to see only the updates that have been made to the original diagrams?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have series of visio diagrams that are used by team members for our IT projects. I have created a 'base' set of diagrams that I would like to be the blue print for all future projects. What I would like is to be able to view only the update/changes anybody has made from the blueprint version.

I have used layers thoroughout the diagrams and thought that if I added all icons to a single base layer that I would simply be able to remove that layer and see only the only updates that have been made from the original. The problem is that because an icon be associated to both the base layer and another layer(s) that this does not work.

Any ideas on how I can apply icons to multiple layers and still be able to see only the updates that have been made to the original diagrams?

Thanks in advance
Hey there,
You can follow up to these following steps to resolve your query:
Create a Base Layer:
Put all the original elements of your blueprint diagrams on a "Base" layer.

Create Update Layers:
For any new changes or updates, create separate layers

Assigning Elements to Layers:
Make sure elements in your original diagrams are only on the "Base" layer.
When making updates, place new or modified elements on the update layers.

Viewing Changes:
To see only the updates, go to the Layer Properties.
Uncheck the "Visible" box for the "Base" layer. This hides the original blueprint elements and shows only the updates.
Avoid Overlapping Layers:

Don’t assign elements to both the "Base" layer and update layers. Each element should be on either the base or an update layer, not both.
If an element from the base needs updating, copy it to an update layer, make the changes, and remove it from the base layer.