VCF attachments becoming corrupted if sent uncompressed

W

wkarraker

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel
Email Client: Exchange

This problem has been stated before but I was curious if a fix would be made in a future patch. The problem is a VCF card that is sent directly by Entourage inserts a space after the 76th character (typically the e-mail address itself). If the VCF card is moved to the Desktop first, compressed to a zip file by the Finder and then forwarded, the file decompresses without error on the recipients end. Unless you manually deselect the auto zip function in the attachments pop-up you end up with a file called '[Original Name].vcf.zip.zip'. Not a very professional looking file if sending it to a client.

The VCF file is in perfect condition prior to sending, I have reviewed multiple VCF files before and after sending and it consistently has problems if a line has more than 76 characters and is not zipped before sending. If the file is compressed in other formats (BinHex for one) it still develops the same problem.

D

Diane Ross

This problem has been stated before but I was curious if a fix would be made
in a future patch.

Send feedback to Microsoft.

When working in Office, you can use the ³Send Feedback² option under the
Help menu in all of the Office applications or visit

<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/suggestions.mspx>

I can forward this to my contacts, but there is no assurance when or if this
will be addressed.
VCF card that is sent directly by Entourage inserts a space after the 76th
character (typically the e-mail address itself)

The only workaround to this is to create an email that is not so long.

W

wkarraker

Thank you for your response, Diane, unfortunately it's not the e-mail that is to long, it is the attachment that is getting corrupted. For example, this line of text is from the original VCF card which was produced by dragging an e-mail address to the Desktop...

email;charset=utf-8;type=internet;type=pref;type=work:[email protected]

After attaching the VCF to an outbound e-mail (with no body text) the resulting VCF file has a return and space added at the 76th character position on long lines...

email;charset=utf-8;type=internet;type=pref;type=work:[email protected]
om

I have confirmed this on multiple VCF cards sent from one user to another via Entourage. If the VCF card is transmitted by other means (flash drive, FTP, IM transfer, shared server) it imports properly in the recipients Entourage.

Thank you for your suggestion to use the 'Send Feedback' function, I will do that immediately.

Ask a Question