Vlookup - formula not working

T

tomsomebody

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi,
I'm really frustrated, and am wondering if i'm an idiot, or if there's a bug...
I have two colums, with 5 rows in each column. A1:B5. The first column is 5 names. The second column is 5 scores. I'm attempting to vlookup on the names, and retrieve the scores.
tom 12
barry 17
jason 23
lou 43
andy 9

My formula is =VLOOKUP("tom",A1:B5,2) I'm expecting '12' but am getting '9'. when i change "tom" to "barry" I get #NA.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, if someone has suggestions, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,
tom

H

Harvey Waxman

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Processor: Intel

Hi, <br>
I'm really frustrated, and am wondering if i'm an idiot, or if there's a bug... <br>
I have two colums, with 5 rows in each column. A1:B5. The first column is 5 names. The second column is 5 scores. I'm attempting to vlookup on the names, and retrieve the scores. <br>
tom 12 <br>
barry 17 <br>
jason 23 <br>
lou 43 <br>
andy 9 <br><br>My formula is =VLOOKUP(&quot;tom&quot;,A1:B5,2) I'm expecting '12' but am getting '9'. when i change &quot;tom&quot; to &quot;barry&quot; I get #NA. <br><br>Not sure what I'm doing wrong, if someone has suggestions, I'd appreciate it! <br><br>Thanks, <br>
tom

I tried and got the same thing so I went to the Help and found that the first column needs to be sorted in ascending order.
Then it worked.

N

Niek Otten

=VLOOKUP("tom",A1:B5,2,FALSE), note the 4th argument

Read the HELP text (Always!)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi,
I'm really frustrated, and am wondering if i'm an idiot, or if there's a bug...
I have two colums, with 5 rows in each column. A1:B5. The first column is 5 names. The second column is 5 scores. I'm attempting to vlookup on the names, and retrieve the scores.
tom 12
barry 17
jason 23
lou 43
andy 9

My formula is =VLOOKUP("tom",A1:B5,2) I'm expecting '12' but am getting '9'. when i change "tom" to "barry" I get #NA.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, if someone has suggestions, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,
tom

T

tomsomebody

Perfect thanks! When I had first read the help I had thought that argument only
pertained to exact matches. Thanks for the help.

Ask a Question