Wanted to pass along a helpful tip for database crashes

S

stevertr

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel
Email Client: pop

Hey all,

Thanks to all of those who helped with my recent problem, especially Diane, who had great input.

Simply we had a consistent problem with my Entourage Database crashing. Tried rebuilding, tried taking a known good database to another seperate computer, with a totally separate fresh install on Office 2008. Nothing worked. I was able to open Entourage enough to see my mail, but knew I was living on borrowed time.

With the database running, and the daemon notification turned off, I tried dragging folders tot he desktop to export as mailbox files. All failed to fully export.

Tried the Jolly Roger script, and it failed telling me some messages were corrupt.

I finally did find a solution though.

I set up Apple Mail, and used the import Entourage Messages function. This function apparently was not as sensitive to a corrupted email here or there and worked fine. When that all got into Mail, that program automatically created mailbox files.

Sadly, I have opted after many years to abandon Entourage and just switch to iCal and Mail. My feeling is that the main issue with Entourage is this unwieldy multi-gigabyte file called "database" than when it "goes down" takes every email I've ever written with it. With Mail, I think I'll have an easier time dealing with things, and if something happens, and least it wont wipe out everything.

So...farewell to Entourage my dear old friend..... I've moved to the "dark side."

Thanks again. You guys are all a phenomenal resource.

Steve

Ask a Question