Your network settings have been changed by another application.

K

karenthewriter

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)

I work in an office, and we have an associate computer where my employer and I send documents that we want to share. (There are only two of us in the office.) Normally there is a Network icon on my Dock, and I click on it when I want to connect to the Associate computer.

Recently I saw that the Network icon was missing. The only thing I know about computers is how to use them when everything is working properly, so I opened System Preferences, and clicked on the Network icon. As soon as Network opened this message popped up: Your network settings have been changed by another application.

Our local phone company changed it's name, so I'm thinking the problem is that my employer had to change email information from alltel.net to windstream.net and the associate computer needs to be changed. However, I can't attempt to change the name because of that dang "network settings have been changed" message.

I click on the OK button, the message goes away for two seconds and then comes back. I click Assist me... and nothing happens. It does no good to click anything. I can't even get out of System Preferences unless I do a force close by using the Command, Option & Escape keys. Everything seems to be frozen up by that message being there.

I told my employer about my problem and he told me to fix it. I clicked on Mac Help and found some articles that tell me to open Network and then do various steps, but Network is frozen up by that message.

I went back to Mac Help and read "Testing whether you can contact another computer". I opened Network Utility and clicked Ping, typed in the Associate computers IP address and sent 10 pings. I was told "10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received" I'm guessing that means the computers can ping, but what do I do now? The Help article tells me to open Terminal application for help interpreting results, but I don't understand technical stuff.

I've tried getting on the Associate computer, but I don't know what to look at or what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

C

CyberTaz

Hi Karen -

I don't mean to dissuade you from posting here but this sounds more like an
Apple technical issue. This group deals with Microsoft Office software for
the Mac. Although someone here "may" be able to work you through this you'd
probably get faster resolution if you post to the Apple Discussions Forum.
Here's where I'd start:

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=755

K

karenthewriter

Dear Bob,
Thank you for your advise. I went to the discussion group you recommended. I'm having trouble getting a log in password and ID, but I will try again tomorrow.

A

Adam Bailey

Recently I saw that the Network icon was missing. The only thing I know about
computers is how to use them when everything is working properly, so I opened
System Preferences, and clicked on the Network icon. As soon as Network
opened this message popped up: Your network settings have been changed by
another application.

The two problems are probably not related. You can get to the Network by
choosing Network from the Go menu (assuming Mac OS X 10.5.x).

M

m4mac1

The two problems are probably not related. You can get to the Network by
choosing Network from the Go menu (assuming Mac OS X 10.5.x).

The 'network settings have been changed' message is a bug in 10.4.11
(Tiger) apparently caused by a recent security update. You can fix by
going into System Preferences/Security and turning on 'Require
Password to change secure settings'. That'll stop it. I believe this
is fixed by a subsequent Software Update from Apple - so make sure
you're current.

K

karenthewriter

For all viewers, and especially for all who posted suggestions, I want you to know that I posted question on the site suggested by CyberTaz a/k/a Bob, and my problems have been fixed.

I learned that the "Your network settings have been changed by another application" message is thought to be a bug caused by a Security update. Some people need to change settings, but I was able to do the easy fix of going to System Preferences, opening Security, and then checking "Require password to unlock each secure system preference."

At least I assume everything is now fixed, because the message went away, and as Adam Bailey and m4mac1 suggested, the missing icon was probably a different matter. My icon was found by clicking on Desktop, then Finder, and finally Preferences. A "box" dropped down, and I clicked on the Sidebar icon. Next I put a check beside Network, and the Network icon returned to my Desktop sidebar.

I apologize if I am wasting valuable space posting information that doesn't apply to this forum, but since so many people have viewed this I didn't want to leave this as an "unsolved mystery", but let everyone know that my problem was fixed.

Thanks so much for everyone who offered suggestion.

C

CyberTaz

Not a waste of space at all - part of knowing what *isn't* at fault is
knowing what *is* at fault & vice-versa [if that makes any sense] :)

Glad you got it resolved & thanks for sharing the findings.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Ask a Question