Microsoft Works and Office 2007

J

Jim Fraas

Been there done that NO DICE with works 8 (as part of Works Suite 2005)

message Debbie:
I had the same problem after installing Office 2007 B2 of
not being able to open Works 7. What I did to get Works 7 functioning again
was: Uninstall Works 7, delete the Works folder from "Program files (x86)",
reinstall Works 7. Everything works normally, if I open a WPS document in
Word I get a warning about a possible malicious document which I ignore
because I know the document source. Usually I'll open Works for viewing
documents that were saved in Works.

Hi Jim,
After some research, here's some info for you:
1) A full installation of Word 2007 installs the latest Works converter
(Works632.cnv), which includes some DLL's from beta Works 9.
2) These Works 9 DLL's have the same name and location as their Works
6/7/8/8.5 counterparts, meaning that the old Works DLL's get overwritten
with their Works 9 counterparts.
3) Some differences in Works 9 cause these newer DLL's to be incompatible
with the older versions of works, so the system loader complains about
missing exports when trying to run the program. As a result, the Task
Launcher is the only Works app that will run (it doesn't have the dependency
on the files that get overwritten).
Works can be restored via the following steps:
1) Start Office setup in maintenance mode
2) Uninstall the Works converter (the rest of Office 2007 is fine)
3) Uninstall Works
4) Reinstall Works
Note that this will mean that Word will not be able to read WPS files. At
the moment, I don't know of any way to fix this (I haven't tried it with the
old converter from the web site, but I don't think it will work).
HTH.
Debbie

J

Jim Fraas

I have tried a few other things and have come to this conclusion.

OFFICE 2007 IS INCOMPATABLE WITH WORKS 8.0!

Debbie:

I had the same problem after installing Office 2007 B2 of not being able to open Works 7. What I did to get Works 7 functioning again was: Uninstall Works 7, delete the Works folder from "Program files (x86)", reinstall Works 7. Everything works normally, if I open a WPS document in Word I get a warning about a possible malicious document which I ignore because I know the document source. Usually I'll open Works for viewing documents that were saved in Works.

Hi Jim,

1) A full installation of Word 2007 installs the latest Works converter (Works632.cnv), which includes some DLL's from beta Works 9.

2) These Works 9 DLL's have the same name and location as their Works 6/7/8/8.5 counterparts, meaning that the old Works DLL's get overwritten with their Works 9 counterparts.

3) Some differences in Works 9 cause these newer DLL's to be incompatible with the older versions of works, so the system loader complains about missing exports when trying to run the program. As a result, the Task Launcher is the only Works app that will run (it doesn't have the dependency on the files that get overwritten).

3) Uninstall Works

4) Reinstall Works

Note that this will mean that Word will not be able to read WPS files. At the moment, I don't know of any way to fix this (I haven't tried it with the old converter from the web site, but I don't think it will work).

HTH.

Debbie

J

Jim Fraas

Debbie:

I had the same problem after installing Office 2007 B2 of not being able to open Works 7. What I did to get Works 7 functioning again was: Uninstall Works 7, delete the Works folder from "Program files (x86)", reinstall Works 7. Everything works normally, if I open a WPS document in Word I get a warning about a possible malicious document which I ignore because I know the document source. Usually I'll open Works for viewing documents that were saved in Works.

Hi Jim,

1) A full installation of Word 2007 installs the latest Works converter (Works632.cnv), which includes some DLL's from beta Works 9.

2) These Works 9 DLL's have the same name and location as their Works 6/7/8/8.5 counterparts, meaning that the old Works DLL's get overwritten with their Works 9 counterparts.

3) Some differences in Works 9 cause these newer DLL's to be incompatible with the older versions of works, so the system loader complains about missing exports when trying to run the program. As a result, the Task Launcher is the only Works app that will run (it doesn't have the dependency on the files that get overwritten).

3) Uninstall Works

4) Reinstall Works

Note that this will mean that Word will not be able to read WPS files. At the moment, I don't know of any way to fix this (I haven't tried it with the old converter from the web site, but I don't think it will work).

HTH.

Debbie

J

Jim Fraas

Debbie:

Hi Jim,

3) Uninstall Works

4) Reinstall Works

HTH.

Debbie

J

Jim Fraas

Debbie:

Hi Jim,

3) Uninstall Works

4) Reinstall Works

HTH.

Debbie

J

Jim Fraas

Debbie:

Hi Jim,

3) Uninstall Works

4) Reinstall Works

HTH.

Debbie

J

Jim Fraas

Debbie:

Hi Jim,

3) Uninstall Works

4) Reinstall Works

HTH.

Debbie

J

Jim Fraas

Debbie:

Hi Jim,

3) Uninstall Works

4) Reinstall Works

HTH.

Debbie

J

Jim Fraas

Debbie:

Hi Jim,

3) Uninstall Works

4) Reinstall Works

HTH.

Debbie

J

Jim Fraas

Yay!

Had a copy of works 7.0 and gave THAT a shot.

Afterwards I set seperate shortcuts to go directly to the Spreadsheet (and
more important ) datebase programs. My works components that I use (Database
and Spreadsheet still work) and IO can once again use Word 2007.

I have the entirer office suite instyalled,but I do wknow once RTM comesw
out I will most likely only get getting Word,hopefully being abkle to use
Works 2005 or Word 2002 to qualify for the upgrade license.

message Debbie:

Hi Jim,
3) Uninstall Works
4) Reinstall Works
HTH.
Debbie

J

Jim Fraas

Yay!

message Debbie:

Hi Jim,
3) Uninstall Works
4) Reinstall Works
HTH.
Debbie

J

Jim Fraas

Yay!

message Debbie:

Hi Jim,
3) Uninstall Works
4) Reinstall Works
HTH.
Debbie

J

Jim Fraas

Yay!

message Debbie:

Hi Jim,
3) Uninstall Works
4) Reinstall Works
HTH.
Debbie

J

Jim Fraas

Yay!

message Debbie:

Hi Jim,
3) Uninstall Works
4) Reinstall Works
HTH.
Debbie

J

Jim Fraas

Yay!

message Debbie:

Hi Jim,
3) Uninstall Works
4) Reinstall Works
HTH.
Debbie

J

Jim Fraas

Yay!

message Debbie:

Hi Jim,
3) Uninstall Works
4) Reinstall Works
HTH.
Debbie

J

Jim Fraas

Yay!

message Debbie:

Hi Jim,
3) Uninstall Works
4) Reinstall Works
HTH.
Debbie

Ask a Question